GME leadership activities
2022By Physicians for a Healthy California GME
Physicians for a Healthy California (PHC) launched GME Startup Solutions (GMESS) to support prospective and current physician graduate medical education (GME) programs. On May 5, GMESS is proud to present the first virtual GME Leadership Summit, to be held from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This event aims to develop and sustain new GME programs in medically underserved areas and specialties by convening subject matter experts and thought leaders to provide insight and expertise.
All GME champions are invited to attend, especially physician workforce development leaders and those looking to start new GME programs, as well as newly designated institutional officials, program directors and program coordinators. This event is free, so register now at cmadocs.org/events.
Since the launch of GMESS, PHC has also implemented the following efforts to empower GME-naïve health systems:
- A curated webpage on areas critical to GME-naïve health systems, such as links to resources to better understand the health care market landscape, GME program planning and design, innovation and leadership, and health equity in residency
- A resource on California’s Physician Workforce that depicts key trends in physician counts, geographic, demographic, and specialty distribution of active patient care physicians, medical students and residents, and projected demand and supply for primary care and psychiatry physicians
- A primer on Federal and State GME funding for California
- A factsheet with talking points for executive leadership on the Top Five Benefits of Building a GME Program
- A well-attended two-part webinar series on GME Medicare Reimbursement
- A well-attended two-part webinar series that addressed two key aspects of the GME program startup process:
- Part 1: Is Becoming a Teaching Hospital Right for Your Organization? Examining the Feasibility of GME Participation
- Part 2: The Fundamentals of ACGME Accreditation
Learn more about GME Startup Solutions or email GMEStartups@phcdocs.org to be added to the email list.