Application now open! PHC announces new CalMedForce GME grant program
Physicians for a Healthy California (PHC) is excited to announce a new grant program, CalMedForce, which awards approximately $40 million to primary care and emergency medicine residency programs in California. The application is now open and is due January 15, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. (PST). Priority will be given to programs in medically-underserved areas and/or programs who serve medically underserved populations.
To be eligible for funding, residency programs must meet the following critieria:
- Located in California
- Osteopathic or allopathic
- Primary care (family medicine, internal medicine, obstetrics/gynecology and/or pediatrics) or emergency medicine
- Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), and/or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Council on Postdoctoral Training
- Serving medically underserved areas and populations
Available funding* per discipline:
- Family Medicine: $9.5 million
- Emergency Medicine: $7.6 million
- Internal Medicine: $7.6 million
- Ob/Gyn: $5.7 million
- Pediatrics: $7.6 million
*Funding is approximate and will be disbursed based on scoring criteria.
Programs that plan to apply for funding are encouraged to start gathering the needed information now to ensure they are ready to complete the application by the deadline. While the application itself isn’t long, it may take some time to collect and prepare the required information. Among the information needed is:
Health professional shortage area (HPSA) Score
Plans for future expansion of residency program
Information about program graduates, including where they are practicing, in what specialty and in what type of practice
Payer mix/patient population
Justification of your funding needs
To answer any questions about this new application process, PHC is hosting several webinars that will provide applicants with an overview of the CalMedForce requirements, deadlines, and the application. Register for your choice of dates today!
If you have any questions regarding the application please email us at CalMedForce@phcdocs.org or call (916) 551-2899.