Physician and dentist awardees for the April 2019 application cycle have been notified. Thank you for your patience and we appreciate your help in improving access to care for Medi-Cal patients.
Mission Statement: CalHealthCares is committed to increasing providers accepting Medi-Cal patients by supporting and incentivizing physicians and dentists to increase participation in the Medi-Cal program. Our goal is to increase access to care by Medi-Cal beneficiaries.
We have held two webinars on common application errors, reasons applicants were found to be not eligible and what you can do to improve your application for next year. The webinars will be recorded and posted if you cannot attend. If you applied, but were not selected for the April 2019 application cycle, please consider reviewing one of the webinars below.
About the CalHealthCares Program
The 2018 Budget Act appropriates $220 million from Proposition 56 to the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) and Senate Bill 849 (Chapter 47, Statutes of 2018) established the Proposition 56 Medi-Cal Physicians and Dentists Loan Repayment Act Program (LRP). The 2019 May Revise appropriates an additional $120 million from Proposition 56 to DHCS. DHCS has contracted with PHC to administer the loan repayment program. Eligible physicians may apply for a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year service obligation. Eligible dentists may apply for either a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year services obligation or a practice support grant up to $300,000 in exchange for a ten-year service obligation. All awardees are required to maintain a patient caseload of 30 percent or more Medi-Cal beneficiaries.
Who May Apply?
Loan Repayment Application Tutorial
To be considered for an award, the applicant must be a current licensed healthcare provider (physician or dentist) or current dental student, medical/dental resident, and/or fellow.
- Have an unrestricted license and currently be in good standing with their licensing board
- Be an active enrolled Medi-Cal provider without existing suspensions, disbarments or revocations or have submitted their application to DHCS to become a Medi-Cal provider
- Have graduated from dental school, medical/dental residency program and/or completed a fellowship
- Have existing educational loan debt incurred while pursuing a medical or dental degree, or have an existing dental practice and willing to relocate to a targeted county
- Not currently be participating in another loan repayment program
- Practice in California
- If awarded, maintain a patient caseload of 30% or more Medi-Cal beneficiaries
Previous Instructions and Other Materials for the April 2019 Application Cycle
These materials are subject to change for the January 2020 application cycle.
If you would like to be added to our email list, please send an email with the subject “subscribe” to CalHealthCares@phcdocs.org.