Mission Statement: CalHealthCares is committed to increasing providers accepting Medi-Cal patients by supporting and incentivizing physicians and dentists to increase participation in the Medi-Cal program. Our goal is to increase access to care by Medi-Cal beneficiaries.
About the CalHealthCares Program
The 2018 Budget Act appropriates $220 million from Proposition 56 to the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) and Senate Bill 849 (Chapter 47, Statutes of 2018) established the Proposition 56 Medi-Cal Physicians and Dentists Loan Repayment Act Program (LRP). DHCS has contracted with PHC to administer the loan repayment program. Eligible physicians may apply for a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year service obligation. Eligible dentists may apply for either a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year services obligation or a practice support grant up to $300,000 in exchange for a ten-year service obligation. All awardees are required to maintain a patient caseload of 30 percent or more Medi-Cal beneficiaries.
Who May Apply?
To be considered for an award, the applicant must be a current licensed healthcare provider (physician or dentist) or current dental student as well as, physician or dental resident, and/or fellow.
- Have an unrestricted license and currently be in good standing with their licensing board
- Be an active enrolled Medi-Cal provider without existing suspensions, disbarments or revocations
- Have graduated from dental school, as well as, physician or dental residency program and/or completed a fellowship
- Have existing educational loan debt incurred while pursuing a medical or dental degree, or have an existing dental practice and willing to relocate to a targeted county
- Not currently participating in another loan repayment program
- Practice in California
- Maintain a patient caseload of 30% or more Medi-Cal beneficiaries
The application is open April 1, 2019 and the deadline to submit the application is 11:59pm (PST) on April 26, 2019.
For more information please read our Eligibility, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), Applicant Instructions, and Checklist. The Application Instructions and FAQs contain answers to commonly asked questions, information about important deadlines, as well as instructions for completing the application. Please also consider attending one of webinars below for more information.
If you would like to be added to our email list, please send an email with the subject “subscribe” to CalHealthCares@phcdocs.org.