CalHealthCares Second Application Cycle is Now Open!
Mission Statement: CalHealthCares is committed to increasing providers accepting Medi-Cal patients by supporting and incentivizing physicians and dentists to increase participation in the Medi-Cal program. Our goal is to increase access to care for Medi-Cal beneficiaries.
LRP 2020 Application
We held two webinars on common application errors, reasons applicants were found to be not eligible and what you can do to improve your application for next year. The webinars will be recorded and posted if you cannot attend. If you applied, but were not selected for the April 2019 application cycle, please consider reviewing one of the webinars below.
Common Reasons Applicants are Found Ineligible
The picture below lists examples of reasons we have marked applicants ineligible for the 2020 CalHealthCares application
Common Mistakes for the 2020 Application
The picture below lists examples of common mistakes applicants are making for the 2020 CalHealthCares application.
Total Payoff Balance Statements
The picture below lists examples of an ineligible lender statement and an eligible total payoff balance statement for the 2020 CalHealthCares application. Please note for privacy reasons the personal information has been redacted. Please make sure your total payoff balance statement has:
- Applicant’s name
- Applicant’s account number
- Dated on or after November 13, 2019
- Total payoff balance amount
About the CalHealthCares Program
The Budget Act of 2018 appropriates $220 million from Proposition 56 to the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) and Senate Bill 849 (Chapter 47, Statutes of 2018) established the Proposition 56 Medi-Cal Physicians and Dentists Loan Repayment Act Program (LRP). The 2019 May Revise appropriates an additional $120 million from Proposition 56 to DHCS. DHCS has contracted with PHC to administer the CalHealthCares program. Eligible physicians may apply for a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year service obligation. Eligible dentists may apply for either a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year service obligation or a Practice Support Grant up to $300,000 in exchange for a ten-year service obligation. All awardees are required to have their patient caseload comprised of a minimum of 30 percent Medi-Cal beneficiaries and within 10 percent of the Medi-Cal patient caseload proposed in their application.
Who May Apply?
To be considered for an award, the applicant must be a current licensed healthcare provider (physician or dentist) or current dental student, medical/dental resident, and/or fellow.
- Maintain a patient caseload comprised of a minimum of 30 percent Medi-Cal beneficiaries and within 10 percent of the Medi-Cal patient caseload proposed in their application
- Have graduated within the last five years (January 1, 2015) or will be graduating and moving towards employment no later than June 30, 2020. For dentist applying to the Practice Support Grant must have graduated from dental school or residency program within the last fifteen years (January 1, 2005)
- Not participating in another loan repayment program or practice support grant as of June 30, 2020
- Have an unrestricted license and be in good standing with their licensing board
- Be an active enrolled Medi-Cal provider without existing suspensions, disbarments or revocations or have submitted their application to DHCS to become a Medi-Cal provider
- Have existing educational loan debt incurred while pursuing a medical or dental degree, or have an existing dental practice and willing to relocate, expand or establish a new practice to a target county
- Practice in California
Instructions and Other Materials for the January 2020 Application Cycle
If you would like to be added to our email list, please send an email with the subject “subscribe” to CalHealthCares@phcdocs.org.
LRP 2020 Application