CalHealthCares administers loan repayment on educational debt for California physicians and dentists who provide care to Medi-Cal patients, which represent one-third of Californians and half of the state’s children. Eligible physicians can apply for up to $300,000 in loan repayment in exchange for a five-year service obligation. Eligible dentists can apply for a loan repayment up to $300,000 in exchange for a five-year service obligation or a Practice Support Grant up to $300,000 in exchange for a ten-year service obligation.
CalHealthCares commits $340 million voter-approved, state tobacco tax revenues from Proposition 56 (2016) to support and incentivize physicians and dentists to increase participation in the Medi-Cal program. In April 2019, the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) launched CalHealthCares, and DHCS has contracted with PHC to administer the statewide program.
- Quick Links:
- Past Webinars
FY 2022-2023 Cohort 5
Application Cycle opens January 18, 2023 - March 3, 2023.
FY 2021-2022 Cohort 4
Application Cycle closed March 11, 2022.
Award announcements were made on July 1, 2022. Awardee Agreements will be distributed in August 2022 with an effective date of September 1, 2022.
All applicants who submitted an application prior to the deadline have been notified via email with a decision regarding their application. All correspondence has been sent via email from CalHealthCares@phcdocs.org. We encourage all applicants to check their status and bookmark this email address to prevent program emails from being routed to your spam folder. Please check out our latest news here.
CalHealthCares administers loan repayment on educational debt for California physicians and dentists who provide care to Medi-Cal patients. It is a publicly funded program through voter-approved tobacco tax revenues (Proposition 56 in 2016) and administered by Physicians for a Healthy California. CalHealthCares has awarded 859 physicians and dentist across three cohorts who serve Medi-Cal patients through various California counties. CalHealthCares is entering its fourth application cycle, FY 2021-2022, in which the program strives to continue increasing access to care for Medi-Cal patients.
FY 2018-19 Cohort 1: Infographics | Physician Fact Sheet | Dentist Fact Sheet
FY 2019-20 Cohort 2: Infographics | Physician Fact Sheet | Dentist Fact Sheet
FY 2020-21 Cohort 3: Infographics | Physician Fact Sheet | Dentist Fact Sheet
- Maintain a patient caseload comprised of a minimum of 30 percent Medi-Cal beneficiaries and within 10 percent of the Medi-Cal patient caseload proposed in their application
- Have graduated within the last five years (January 1, 2017) or will be graduating from a residency or fellowship program and moving towards employment no later than June 30, 2022. For dentist applying to the Practice Support Grant must have graduated from dental school or residency program within the last fifteen years (January 1, 2007)
- Not participating in another disqualifying loan repayment program or practice support grant as of June 30, 2022
- Have an unrestricted license and be in good standing with their licensing board
- Be an active enrolled Medi-Cal provider without existing suspensions, disbarments or revocations or have submitted their application to DHCS to become a Medi-Cal provider
- Have existing educational loan debt incurred while pursuing a medical or dental degree, or have an existing dental practice and willing to relocate, expand or establish a new practice to a target county
- Practice in California
- Application Resources (Cohort 4 Application closed as of 11:59pm PST, March 11, 2022)
- Awardee Resources
- Annual Review Resources
- Semi-Annual Review Resources
- Semi-Annual Review (SAR) Employment Verification Form (EVF): Dentist | Physician (solely for current awardees)
In the News
Email CalHealthCares@phcdocs.org or call (916) 551-2579.
All materials are subject to change per cycle. Please email CalHealthCares@phcdocs.org with the subject “subscribe” to receive news and informational emails.