Physicians for a Healthy California (PHC) is dedicated to all Californians having access to quality, timely and affordable health care, particularly underserved communities.
The MedStudentsServe grant funds medical student organizations to support educational, advocacy, community service and outreach programs that enhance the health and well-being of California’s communities.
Funded through endowment and restricted funds, and administered by PHC, the program aims to develop the next generation of California’s physician leaders.
Apply by January 6, 2023!
- Grant awards up to $2,500
- Students receive 50% of the funds upon signing the awardee agreement and receive the final 50% upon completion of the project and approval of the report
- Priority will be given to projects for which funding is not traditionally provided by medical schools or local community sponsors
- California-based medical student clubs, student organizations and group projects based at an allopathic or osteopathic medical school
- Applicants do not need to be a 501 C (3)
- Projects can include family health fairs, student-run community health screenings, educational programs for youth, public health outreach initiatives, mentoring programs, safety fairs and more
- Required elements include:
- One-page (maximum 300 words) statement describing the project or program and its contribution to the community and to medical student education
- Contact information from the medical school dean or faculty member affirming “good standing” status of the organization
- Brief budget explaining how the total requested funds will be utilized and indicating estimated expenses
- Resource: Grant Guidelines
- Application: FY 2022-23 MedStudentsServe Application
- Completed W-9 form, including name, address and social security number
- Submit a final report packet no later than June 30, 2022, or thirty days after completion of the approved project, including:
- Summary review (250 words)
- Detail budget on how funds were utilized
- Grant evaluation form
- Original receipts
- Pictures of promotional materials displaying the PHC logo (NOTE: materials must convey PHC’s support of the project)
- Photos or videos documenting the project (with release forms)
- Resource: Final report template
Important Dates for 2022-23*:
- October 24, 2022: Application cycle opens
- January 6, 2023: Application cycle closes
- January 25, 2023: Award announcements
- February 6, 2023: Return signed awardee agreement
- February 6-20, 2023 (tentative): First payments disbursed (50% of award amount)
- February 6 through June 30, 2023: Conduct project
- June 30, 2023: Final Report due and final payments disbursed (50% of award amount)
*Dates are subject to change.
David Kert, CalMedForce Program Analyst, DKert@phcdocs.org