The Alliance Working for Antibiotic Resistance Education (AWARE) was initiated by Physicians For a Healthy California (PHC) in 2000, as a long-term statewide effort to promote the appropriate use of antibiotics. Physician organizations, public health agencies, consumer and community-based organizations, government representatives and the pharmaceutical industry have all worked to achieve the mission and goals of this project.
Reduce the unnecessary use of antibiotics and the prevalence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in California.
- Increase appropriate prescribing of antibiotics.
- Raise consumer awareness and understanding regarding the appropriate use of antibiotics.
- Mobilize the community to reduce the unnecessary use of antibiotics
Each year, an expert clinical work group meet to develop timely educational materials regarding appropriate antibiotic use for adult and pediatric care. These tools, known as the AWARE Toolkit, are free to download and are available in English and Spanish. An abbreviated version is available in the iTunes App Store and Google Play.
If you are interested in receiving a print copy of the AWARE Toolkit, contact PHC at (916) 551 -2566 or email us.
- 2007: AWARE begins producing the annual cold/flu AWARE Toolkit
- 2008: AWARE develops a Promotora pilot program to raise antibiotic awareness in the Latino community
- 2010: AWARE collaborates with the Girl Scouts Heart of Central California to create a Community Health Patch on the topic of influenza prevention and management
- 2012: AWARE is recognized by the New England Health Institute as one of six best care practices, in “A Health Care Leader’s Guide to High Value Health Care”, a part of its Bend the Curve campaign to reduce wasteful healthcare spending. AWARE is also highlighted at NEHI’s Sacramento Forum on Bend the Curve innovations.
- 2012: PHC is recognized by the CDC as having played a significant role in the reduction of antibiotic use in California. At the request of the CDC, the PHC develops guidelines to train community-based organizations and public health organizations about how to work with health plans.
- 2014: AWARE releases the AWARE Toolkit mobile application.
- 2002: Best of Blue Award; Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association co-awarded AWARE and Blue Shield of California for Best Practice in Partnerships
- 2004: CDC Award for Innovation in Appropriate Antibiotic Use Programs in the Community (CDC Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work)
To get your FREE copy of the AWARE Toolkit mobile, click on the link to the relevant app store :